Tuesday, February 24, 2009

#8 Loving lessons from a Caregiver

As a caregiver for my long time partner with dementia, I learned that power needs to be watched carefully and negative power needs to be controlled.
There is much trust of the caregiver by the loved one and it is important to honor it as trust. Wanting to be proud of my role as caregiver ultimately motivated me to soften and support Alan's dignity to the very end. This, mind you, was after living through some bumpy times.
I first had to experience the dark places in myself - my impatience, my lack of skill, and my exhaustion - to know I was a full human being with all that brings. But to grow from the experience I needed to find ways to work myself back into being a loving trusted caregiver and partner.
These important issues come in all shapes and sizes and I share lots of stories about how I was able to make the shift to a softer, more open hearted place in my memoir Living on the Verge of Insanity.

No comments: