Monday, February 23, 2009

#7 Loving Lessons from a Caregiver

During my 8 years of caregiving I learned that allowing others to help me was a sign of my strength and self love. Life is meant to be shared and sharing all types of experiences is what breaths love into relationships.
So often in the early days I would try to imagine getting help with Alan and always came up with a long list of excuses not to. The excuses were mostly based on what I perceived to be other peoples' needs, never considering my own. Once I accepted love and input from others I realized that I had been depriving them of the experience of helping Alan too.
In my memoir Living on the Verge of Insanity I discuss the gradual shift in my views that finally allowed others to love and care for Alan. I saw that he brought music and humor to his caregivers for many years. I was finally happy to share him with them and get the help I needed at the same time.

No comments: