Monday, June 13, 2005

The Newman’s Own Organics Guide to a Good Life

Nell Newman and Joseph D’Agnese have written a great resource book, packed with lots of wonderful information. As you work your way through the various topics, you’ll be presented with lots of choices about foods, technology, even what to feed your pet turtle. You get a small dose of the gloomy state of affairs in our world, which is then quickly followed by how to take actions friendly to the environment and your own health.
Here’s her view on how she makes her own decisions about how she wants to eat.
“I’m what you’d call a “flexatarian.” I prefer to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, but I’m not averse to eating meat, poultry, and fish from time to time. It depends on the circumstance. I do admire the goals of vegetarians but I’ve always valued flexibility in eating. If I’m in New Orleans, I’ll try gumbo. Or chowder and lobster in Maine. If a business associate is taking me out to dinner, or a friend has graciously prepared a wonderful dinner, I think it’s more fun to enjoy the food before me than to scrutinize ingredients. Food and friends make the meal.”

So many discussions about the environment leave me feeling hopeless and helpless. I loved this book because it made me feel expansive and empowered to take action. It’s a great read and a great resource, so roll up your sleeves!!
Newmans' Own Organics

No comments: