Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Sport's Mind

Having just completed the 20th anniversary celebration of my first two triathlons, I am a very different person then I was 20 years ago. I am enjoying being fit enough to breeze through these big athletic projects. These days, I am smelling the roses as I go along and yes I am slower but strength and stamina are my new targets.
I decided now is the time to introduce Sport's Mind Earlier in the summer I did a teleclass with Jeffrey Hodges, the originator of this program. What I liked was the flexibility of his approach and how similar it is to what I am coming to understand works best in coaching. Jeffrey puts the emphasis on what successful athletes have used to help them get the results they want and adapting this to the level of each of his clients. These are mostly internal stratagies in areas of motivation, goal acheivement, concentration/focus, anxiety management, self confidence, outlook and attitude, and finally the vision. What I mean by flexibility is the ability to go beyond judgements about "how it is supposed to be done" and creating your own goals within the larger context. This can be as rewarding as doing a "great time". There are many approaches to our athletic goals. Being fit, for example, is mine. Fun may be yours. Go for it!

No comments: