Saturday, December 31, 2005

Happiness For the New Year

I've been rereading Authentic Happiness by Martin Seligman for my Life Coaching research paper. I just found a great New Year's project that he recommends to start your year.
On p.81 he describes it, "Shortly after New Year's Day, I find a quiet half an hour to fill out a "January retrospective." I choose a time that is remote from any momentary hassles or uplifts, and I do it on my computer, where I have saved a copy for comparison purposes every year for the last decade. On a scale of 1 to 10 (abysmal to perfect), I rate my satisfaction with my life in each of the domains of great value to me, and I write a couple of sentences that sum up each. The domains I value, which may differ from yours, are as follows:
Love, Profession, Finances, Play, Friends, Health, Generativity, Overall and then Trajectory in which I scrutinize the year-to-year changes and their course across a decade.. I recommend this procedure to you. It pins you down, leaves little room for self-deception, and tells you when to act."
Sounds like a worthy project. That's what I'll be doing tomorrow.
Happy New Year to you all and a big Ho Ho Ho from Charlie the parrot.

No comments: